Installing powerSSAS on Windows 7

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I am running Windows 7, SQL 2008 and I am getting the same errors as others in the discussions. Do you know of any issues with it working on Windows 7?

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Actually I have not tested powerSSAS on Windows 7 yet (it's one of the many things on my todo list). My new laptop is running Windows 7, so I should be able to get around to this soon. Seeing that Windows 7 comes with PowerShell v2, there may be potential issues with the current release which was compiled for Powershell v1. I did hear that with v2, it should be possible to get snapins working without needing to do a full install, but I have not had time to test that yet.

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2009 at 5:20 AM

I just tested this and the current install of PowerSSAS works (for me at least) on Windows 7. So I can run the same add-pssnapin command that worked on Powershell v1 and Windows Vista. Does the machine you are installing on have the SQL client tools or at least the AMO library installed? If it does the following should work on Windows 7

import-module "c:\program files (x86)\powerssas 2008\powerssas.dll"

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7, if you are running 32 bit you won't need the (x86) in the path.

I have also extended this concept to create a shortcut on my desktop with the following, that loads powerssas and creates a drive for me. (the v1.0 is in the path for backward compatability, it is actually running v2)

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoExit -command import-module 'c:\program files (x86)\powerssas 2008\powerssas.dll'; new-psdrive ssas powerssas localhost\sql08