This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installation Issues

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Pasted from: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/679b510f-3d42-4eed-ba2c-df2a2bd39a00/

I installed powerssas successfully and can see the files and folders it created.  I went to snap it in and get:

Add-PSSnapin : Windows PowerShell snap-in powerSSAS is not installed on the machine.
At line:1 char:13
+ add-pssnapin  <<<< powerSSAS

Is there anything you'd recommend I check?  Maybe the snapi in is not going to the right folder?

SQL Server 2008 SP1 CU2 x64
Windows 2003 Server
PowerShell 1.0

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 1:38 AM

The actual folder that the files are installed in does not matter too much. PowerSSAS is a powershell v1.0 snapin, it should work on Server 2003. The current release is compiled for SQL 2005, but I think you should still be able to add the snapin, it just would not let you create a psdrive pointing to SQL 2008.

I have a 2008 version working on my laptop, I will pull together an installer and try to do a new release tonight (Australian time)

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:05 PM

That's probably it Darren.  Let me know if you get a 2008 version and will try it out.  Powershell is a real time saver compared to SSMS!  I've recently setup scripts to automate security role management, which normally was extremely mouse-click intensive and error prone.

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I put the 0.3 release up yesterday which includes a 2008 version. Let me know if you have any trouble with this.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:59 AM

Hi Darren,

I just installed PowerSSAS 2008 on my laptop this morning and I got the following error messages. I have installed it before and never have this issue.
I am wondering if you could help me.

Cheers,
Uzzie

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>InstallUtil "C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll"
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.3053
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Running a transacted installation.

Beginning the Install phase of the installation.
See the contents of the log file for the C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll assembly's progress.
The file is located at C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.InstallLog.
Installing assembly 'C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll'.
Affected parameters are:
   logtoconsole =
   assemblypath = C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll
   logfile = C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.InstallLog
An exception occurred while trying to find the installers in the C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll assembly.
System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
Aborting installation for C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll.

An exception occurred during the Install phase.
System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to get installer types in the C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll assembly.
The inner exception System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException was thrown with the following error message: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information..

The Rollback phase of the installation is beginning.
See the contents of the log file for the C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll assembly's progress.
The file is located at C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.InstallLog.
Rolling back assembly 'C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll'.
Affected parameters are:
   logtoconsole =
   assemblypath = C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll
   logfile = C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.InstallLog
An exception occurred while trying to find the installers in the C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll assembly.
System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
Aborting installation for C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll.
An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the System.Configuration.Install.AssemblyInstaller installer.
System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to get installer types in the C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.dll assembly.
The inner exception System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException was thrown with the following error message: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information..
An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the rollback will continue. However, the machine might not fully revert to its initial state after the rollback is complete.

The Rollback phase completed successfully.

The transacted install has completed.
The installation failed, and the rollback has been performed.

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2009 at 6:25 AM

Hi Uzzie,

What OS are you running on your laptop? If it's Vista, do you remember if the installer asked you to elevate your priviledges (if you have UAC on)? Have you applied SP1 to your SQL 2008 install?

Regards
Darren

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:30 AM
Edited Sep 7, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Hi Darren,

I am using XP 32 bits.
Forgot to add, yes my SQL2008 have SP1 + CU3.

Cheers,
Uzzie

To: [email removed]
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:25:09 -0700
Subject: Re: Installation Issues [powerSSAS:60900]

Hi Uzzie,
What OS are you running on your laptop? If it's Vista, do you remember if the installer asked you to elevate your priviledges (if you have UAC on)? Have you applied SP1 to your SQL 2008 install?
Regards
Darren

Click Here View photos of singles in your area

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2009 at 6:41 AM

What about your SSAS 2008 install - is it RTM or SP1?

Are you running the server on your laptop or just the client tools?

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:47 AM

I have SQL Server 2008 RTM + SP1 + CU3 installed on my laptop.
On the server side, I ahve SQL Server 2008 RTM + SP1 installed.

When I tried to install PowerSSAS, I connect to the server.

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2009 at 7:19 AM

Hmm, That should work fine. PowerSSAS pretty much uses the same libraries as SSMS, so if you can run that you should have all the libraries that you need to run powerSSAS.

The install script is pretty simple. I extract powerssas.dll and then call the .Net Framework's installutil.exe which registers the dll so that Powershell can "see" it. It's the installutil part that is failing. It's either a missing some reference or there is an issue with your copy of powerssas.dll.

Have you checked the contents of the "C:\Program Files\powerSSAS 2008\powerssas.InstallLog" file - it may just be a copy of the output you pasted in your first message, but it's worth double checking.

Unfortunately I will be at TechEd Australia this week, so I probably will not get a chance to dig into any deeper this week.

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:30 AM

That's what I thought because I use it at home on XP 64 and it's working.
I also tried to register the DLL manually by using InstallUtil.exe and came out with same error messages.
Also I have looked at the log file and it contains the same error message that I pasted before.

TechED? I wish I could be there :), at least I want to get a bag (not the mini laptop :P)

I'll try again if I can get it work and will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Uzzie

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Out of my league here, but thought I'd throw it out to you guys if you're still having problems.  I've encountered this error "Unable to load one or more of the requested types." when installing a custom program.  The solution was to reinstall .NET 3.5.  Just a thought.

Mike