powerSSAS Provider Drive Name

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:02 AM

I just ran the Get-PSProvider cmdlet and got the following output.

Shouldn't powerSSAS have it's own Drive name?

Name                 Capabilities                                                     Drives
----                 ------------                                                     ------
WSMan                Credentials                                                      {WSMan}
Alias                ShouldProcess                                                    {Alias}
Environment          ShouldProcess                                                    {Env}
FileSystem           Filter, ShouldProcess                                            {C, D, E, A...}
Function             ShouldProcess                                                    {Function}
Registry             ShouldProcess, Transactions                                      {HKLM, HKCU}
Variable             ShouldProcess                                                    {Variable}
Certificate          ShouldProcess                                                    {cert}
SqlServer            Credentials                                                      {SQLSERVER}
powerSSAS            ShouldProcess                                                    {}
ActiveDirectory      Include, Exclude, Filter, ShouldProcess, Credentials             {AD}

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM

No, at the moment I have not setup a default drive. This is because SSAS does not have the same server discovery features that SQL Server has. So if I did have a default drive I do not have a way of populating a list of available servers. So at the moment you need to create your own drives which you can do with the following command:

new-psdrive <drivename> powerssas <server\instancename>

So in some of the examples that I think I posted on my blog a while ago I did...

new-psdrive ssas powerssas localhost\sql08

...to create a drive called ssas: which was mapped to the SQL08 instance on my local machine. If you have any ideas on what should be implement as a default drive I would be happy to hear them.