This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installing powerSSAS for SQL 2008 R2

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Hi Guys

I am getting this error when working with SQL 2008 R2 - is there a version to work with SQL 2008 R2?

Import-Module : Cannot load Windows PowerShell snap-in C:\program files\powerss
as 2008\powerssas.dll because of the following error: Unable to load one or mor
e of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more infor
mation.
Loader Exceptions:
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices, Version=9.0.242.0,
 Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies.
The system cannot find the file specified.
At line:1 char:14
+ import-module <<<<  'c:\program files\powerssas 2008\powerssas.dll'; new-psdr
ive ssas powerssas localhost
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Import-Module], PSSnap
   InException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PSSnapInLoadFailure,Microsoft.PowerShell.Command
   s.ImportModuleCommand
New-PSDrive : Cannot find a provider with the name 'powerssas'.
At line:1 char:75
+ import-module 'c:\program files\powerssas 2008\powerssas.dll'; new-psdrive <<
<<  ssas powerssas localhost
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (powerssas:String) [New-PSDrive]
   , ProviderNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ProviderNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.N
   ewPSDriveCommand

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2010 at 6:34 AM

The reference to Microsoft.AnalysisServices Version=9.0.242.0 means that PowerSSAS was trying to load the SSAS 2005 libraries. I will test this on my R2 instance over the weekend and see if I can fix this issue.

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I just uploaded the 0.3.1.0 release. I tested the 2008 version against my 2008 R2 instance and they worked fine. I have also added a .zip file with a PowerShell v2 module so that you can install powerSSAS as a module without needing to run the installer.

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Hi,

I tried to install the module version on sql 2008 R2 64 bit (running on Windows 7 64 bit) with AMO and Powershell V2, but giving the following error

Import-Module : The following error occurred while loading the extended type data file:
Microsoft.PowerShell, C:\...\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerSSAS\PowerSSAS.Types.Ps
1Xml : File skipped because it was already present from "Microsoft.PowerShell".
Microsoft.PowerShell, C:\...\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerSSAS\PowerSSAS.Types.Ps
Microsoft.PowerShell, C:\....\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerSSAS\PowerSSAS.Types.Ps
Microsoft.PowerShell, C:\.....\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PowerSSAS\PowerSSAS.Types.Ps

I also tried the installer version, but getting the type exception error already reported several times.

Any suggestion to get me going on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

turbobi

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2010 at 5:25 AM

@turbobi there are a couple of things we can try.

I found an error path to the assembly in the .psd1 file, so I have corrected that and uploaded a new release, so the first thing to do is get that and see if that works. I have this running on one of my test VMs with SQL 2008 R2 on Server 2008 R2 and it works fine.

The error you are getting is that the type information is already loaded, so this could be a symptom of the incorrect path in the .psd1 file. If you tried to load the 0.3.0.0 version once, the type and format information would have loaded, but not the assembly, so nothing would have worked. Trying to load it a second time would cause errors like the ones above. Is this what happened for you or was it something different?

There was an error in the build script prior to version 0.3.0.0 that cause the 2008 build to compile with a reference to the 2005 AMO library, but this should now be fixed, so I need to the exact details of the exception and at which point it is being thrown. Are you still getting the exact error that Howard got about being unable to load the 9.0.242.0 version of Microsoft.AnalysisServices? Do you get errors during install or when trying to run add-pssnapin? Ultimately I really only have the installer so that I am backward compatible with PowerShell v1 - on Win7 or Server 2008 R2 I would just use the module version.

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:20 AM
Edited Jul 29, 2010 at 5:20 AM
Hi Darren,

The new release 0.3.1.1 did the trick. The PowerSSAS provider is working like a charm. Thanks a million.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM
Great news, thanks for letting me know that it works